“Dedicated Memorial Service Since 1911”
It was in October 1911 when Roy Oscar Sears, contrary to the advice of others, established what was to become the largest memorial monument company in West Virginia. The original address of the company was 1001 Virginia Street East, now the location of The Gazette and Daily Mail. Roy Sears persuaded his father and brother to move from Washington Court House, Ohio to operate the newly formed monument company.
Prior to his 17th birthday Roy learned the trade of stone cutter. In 1900 he traveled a five star territory as a monument manufacturer’s wholesale representative. During his travels, he was impressed with the business future of the Charleston area. Roy Sears continued his job as a wholesale representative for the next two years to assure financial stability to the new company during the critical early years of organization.
During the first two years the business did not prosper, so Roy Sears resigned his traveling job and took over the active management of the company. Through hard work and dedication, the company began to grow.
In 1918 the business moved to 510 Virginia Street, during this time all production work was completed onsite at this location.
In 1939 the first of many branches across the state of West Virginia opened in Beckley.
Roy’s oldest son, Roy B. Sears, became associated with the company in 1946, and his youngest son, Jack, in 1949. Following the death of his wife in April 1952, Roy Oscar Sears retired after 52 years at the age of 69.
Beginning in 1960, Roy’s youngest son, Jack, took over the company. Through continued growth and urban renewal, in 1974 the third move was made to the present location at 124 Virginia Street, East.
In 1988 Brent, Jack's youngest son, was elected president of Sears Monument Company. He continues to operate the company on a day to day basis. Jack's oldest son, John, managed the Huntington branch from 1974, until he retired in 2013.
Today, Sears Monument Company has four showrooms located in Charleston, Huntington, Beckley and Parkersburg. Additionally, there are over 20 funeral homes that offer our products to the families in the areas they serve.
Sears Monument Company has served over 150,000 families since being in business since 1911, over 105 years. Having established a reputation for creative memorialization, exceptional workmanship, with guaranteed satisfaction, Sears Monument pledges to all West Virginia families for generations to come proper memorialization for their loved ones.
Our first international pickup truck and winch in front of the dealership in the late 1930s.
Our plant at 1521 Hansford Street in the mid 1950s
Founder of Sears Monument Company